Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hello!!
My name is Lorian Jones. I'm doing this blog for English. In my class, I have to read A Dream Fulfilled: The Story of Barack Obama  chapters one through three. At first, I thought this book was going to be boring and that it would put me to sleep but I was wrong. I was very interested in it and I wondered was going on in Obama's life. There are so many thing I want to say when I finish reading the 3 chapters. My reaction was I was shocked and sometimes rage. It’s just the way I feel when I read this book.
The only part I don't understand  was why Obama couldn’t exactly figure out his race due to be a mixed breed. It make me feel like if I were there with him, I would knock upside his head and tell him "What about me? You're not the only one who’s having a problem. Look at me, tell me what kind of problem do I have. I am deaf and some people make fun of deaf or hard of hearing people."
I understand Obama wanted to blend in with the white people, because some black people want the white people to accept them. I can kinda related to that. In the past, I wanted to blend in with the hearing people and have them accept me for being who I am, but I realized that I'm not ashamed of who I am, I am proud of what I am. Sometimes I hated when a person would look or just stare, and maybe say cruel things about you behind your back. When people act like they have never seen a deaf person before, I just want to tell them, "Do you have a problem with a deaf people, if not then look away and mind your business and let us live in peace." I would stand up for my deaf community if we're being mistreated.
Obama's relationship with his father seemed to be difficult for me to understand. Why was he not in his son's life? I understand his father wanted to show his people from Kenya that he is getting a better education and his life getting better but come on, a father should be there for his children no matter what. Children need a mother and a father figure so they can become better and understand what they need to understand. The only thing I do not accept is when a father tells  a child that he/she must study during your school break, which is foolish. If the child already have a good grades, why make him study harder during school break when the child could be out having fun with their friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment